Monday, March 03, 2008

Through the rabbit hole

Kristen here. Due to illness, I have been home all day, so I decided to add to the blog. As the relief of Kevin being placed in his residency sets in, we are looking forward to what is coming up as well as reflecting on what we've accomplished.

This past Saturday I ran a 10K in Indianapolis with my best friend Lauren "Lo" Kossack. I am training for a mini-marathon (which is a clear product of me having too much free time) in May and decided that a 10K would be a good first step towards my goal. This race was a little more difficult then I had anticipated. I finished, and in a reasonable amount of time, but God bless Lo for sticking it out with me. I now have the motivation to really work on my training so I can be fully prepared for May 3rd - once I recover the full use of my legs again :)

Kevin has some projects he is keeping busy with as well. He has two weeks left of class before entering his final quarter of classwork. This means finishing strong, completing his dissertation, and just getting through. On a more fun note, he is finishing the basement, putting in a bathroom and a "entertainment" room. His uncle and dad have been helping him with this project so expenses have been relatively low. We were watching a bathroom remodel on HGTV last night that cost $200,000....obviously that is FAR more then we would ever spend -- of course, we're not importing tile from Italy, so, that does make a difference.

There are exciting things happening with our friends as well. Doug, a very close friend of mine and Kevin's, has accepted a teaching job in India starting in August. Doug has always been the independant, adventurous type, so something like this is not completely out of the blue for Doug. I always thought he would go back to Paris, or maybe London (aka somewhere I might be interested in visiting), but he has been given a really exciting opportunity. He will be teaching music to 1st - 3rd graders, something that he has a real gift at. We are both really going to miss him while he fulfills his 2-year contract, but we are incredibly proud of him.

Another close friend, Marci, has SO many exciting things happening. I had the opportunity to have dinner with Marci on Saturday and am truly excited for her....God is really blessing her life. After 10 years of collegiate vocal study, some interesting things are happening in her life. After winning a competition a few weeks ago and performing spectacularly in Anderson University's production of Albert Herring, she has recently learned that she has been accepted to the prestigious Operaworks program in LA and is waiting to hear about her application to a doctorate voice program. To understand why I am so proud, you have to know Marci. Since I've known her, she has worked harder, been more persistant and had more faith then any one else I know...not to mention that she has a natural talent that keeps getting better and better with time. Congratulations Marci -- I am SO proud of you.


More later....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home