Wednesday, March 19, 2008

School, Work and Future Plans

On Monday night Kevin completed his last final of his winter quarter, which means he has one more quarter of classes and he's done....which is crazy. In the next 12 weeks he will be consumed with completing his dissertation, finishing strong in his classes and preparing for COT (commissioned officer's training) in July.

For me, work seems to be picking up quite a bit lately. We had our season announcement party on Friday evening at Pigall's Twist Lounge in downtown Cincinnati. For the past several years, Playhouse's season announcement has centered around a breakfast or lunch, so this was a completely different experience for everyone involved. I was hired three days after last year's announcement, so I was not a part of the party. However, after Abracadabra (the annual gala) everything else seems pretty easy. Unfortunately, my "go with the flow and get the job done" attitude has not yet been adopted by my superiors. Everyone was so worked up about the party, I wasn't sure what was going to happen. In spite of multiple concerns, the party went really well and our board members, donors and subscribers seem very excited about the new season.

Some of the highlights of the party included appetizers with snails (or escargot as the "fancy" people call it), using the four flat screens in place of cardboard cutouts of the show logos, and a martini named especially for the event -- the Playhouse Love Potion #49. Unfortunately, the martini was gross. Howie (the company manager) blamed the vodka that was used; I blame the combination of passionfruit vodka with orange-flavored liquor and grenadine...I have a sweet tooth, but really. Despite the somewhat gross martini, Twist is a very fun place to hang out and meet up with friends -- I highly recommend it to anyone interested in a fun happy hour experience.

Now that the season announcement party is over, I have a few more events coming up, as well as finishing the Target grant and nominating the Playhouse for a local Cincinnati award. I am also looking forward to a trip to Florida with my best friend Lauren "Lo" Kossack the first week of April, and a trip to Pheonix with Kevin for Mark Hurley's ASU graduation. As I evaluate my place at Playhouse, what it is I am working toward and what I really want for my career, I have discovered that I really do like working there. Frustrating at times, yes, but overall, I have learned a lot so far. With my one year anniversary next Wednesday, I have to say that it feels like I have been out of school forever. Now the question is, what are my goals for the next year? Where do I want to be one year from now? That is definately something I need to consider...I think the worst thing that could happen is to let the time pass me by without creating any real goals for myself. I'll keep you posted as I create these goals.

1 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Blogger Ellie said...

eww, that drink is gross...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home